Review Detail

1.0 1
Lahore April 28, 2015 4342
Iftar-dinner buffet was so bad we walked out..
Overall rating

Food

Atmosphere

Service

Pricing

The Cube's iftar+dinner buffet is priced at 2100 plus tax. It has no menu advertised - that should have been our first warning sign. However, we optimistically thought, having been told by them that there will be a "variety of pakistani, continental, chinese" and based on general non-iftar reviews of the restaurant which mention non-run of the mill items like coconut butter prawns, truffle pizza, burrata and quinoa etc that it would be a special experience.
We were wrong. So wrong.
Not only was it NOT SPECIAL, it wasn't even up to ordinary-level, the mains are nearly all Pakistani and there is hardly any variety. I'm sorry I'm not going to pay PKR 2400 for Mains that are shadi ka khana equivalent - biryani, qeema, daal, sabzi, chicken boti, desi mutton maybe and desi fish and ONE CHINESE main thrown in (a fairly ordinary looking one).
Salads were boring ones - nothing special (no quinoa or burrata going on!) and not extensive again. Dessert we didnt survey properly - but nothing stood out - routine stuff and again not extensive.
Iftar was samosay, pakoray, jalebi, winglets, shawerma, dahi bhallay, finger fish.
The Cube's decor is nice - seating is limited as it is a small venue - they only seat 42. When we initially saw the small size of the buffet we thought "hmm but maybe what they're offering is really good quality" - however, what was underneath the cloches was distinctly sub-par. In a market that now has places like Veranda Bistro giving good quality food for less than what The Cube is charging, we felt so had/scammed we abandoned the place post-iftar, losing our advance but not going through with the dinner. I'm still puzzled why a place that wants to be "fine dining" is offering run of the mill Pakistani food. Btw: nothing against Pakistani food, if I wanted Pakistani food I would still not go here - I'd go to places that do it extensively and do it well. So again, puzzled by whom The Cube is targeting, at the high price at which it was charging we certainly expected what the rest of the market is offering. We had planned this in advance and were looking forward to it - it was disappointing to be so let-down. We did bring this up with management - responses were "continental refers to salads & desserts too", "our menu changes daily", "we are less expensive than avari/PC", "things like khao suey are part of ala carte not buffet" -- we didn't feel any of these responses were satisfactory.
S
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments